Jerry-
Think about all the subjects you need and the relationship between them.
Here's a starter list:
Songs
Composers
Artists
Albums
CopyrightHolders
Because Songs can have multiple Composers and each Composer writes multiple songs, you need a Many-to-Many relationship. To do that in a relational database, you need what I call a "Linking" table - SongsComposers.
A similar relationship exists between Songs and Artists - you need a SongsArtists table, and that linking table probably should also contain a link to Albums.
I assume a CopyrightHolder can have multiple Songs, but can a Song have multiple CopyrightHolders?
You may also need a Performances or Tracks table. I can imagine that a particular Artist or combination of Artists might perform the same song multiple times, but on different albums. Maybe some live performances as well as studio. And the length for each Song-Artist performance or track might be different depending on the album or venue. A Tracks table would then contain the SongID, ArtistID, AlbumID, perhaps venue, and Length.
Does that help?
John Viescas, Author
Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Microsoft Access 2007 Inside Out
Microsoft Access 2003 Inside Out
Building Microsoft Access Applications
SQL Queries for Mere Mortals
http://www.viescas.com/
(Paris, France)
On Nov 15, 2014, at 5:26 PM, Jerry bearjercares@gmail.com [MS_Access_Professionals] <MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
Greetings -
I am working on a master song database with potentially thousands of
songs linked to discographies, copyright holders and the like. My
question right now is (I'm sure I'll have more later):
1. Some songs have multiple composers. Should I set up a table from
which to get the authors into the master song index and what is normally
the easiest or best way to handle when there are multiple authors?
Thanks!
Jerry Boor, Michigan, USA
------------------------------------
Posted by: Jerry <bearjercares@gmail.com>
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
Yahoo Groups Links
Posted by: John Viescas <johnv@msn.com>
| Reply via web post | • | Reply to sender | • | Reply to group | • | Start a New Topic | • | Messages in this topic (2) |
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar