Kamis, 04 Desember 2014

Re: [MS_AccessPros] Re: Can msaccess use multiple cores?

 

Can't hurt to try it!


John Viescas, Author
Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Microsoft Access 2007 Inside Out
Microsoft Access 2003 Inside Out
Building Microsoft Access Applications 
SQL Queries for Mere Mortals 
(Paris, France)




On Dec 4, 2014, at 6:51 PM, Liz Ravenwood liz_ravenwood@beaerospace.com [MS_Access_Professionals] <MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Actually John, since then I've changed the way that particular database runs.  The initial form is actually unbound so that I can query if the database is available or not before I bind to it.  I wonder if it would work in this new context?

 

Thanks a bunch.

 

From: MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2014 9:25 AM
To: MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [MS_AccessPros] Re: Can msaccess use multiple cores?

 



Liz-

 

It's possible to do, but there must be NO recordsets open to any of the linked tables.  It's best done from an unbound form - like the main switchboard.  If you used the Switchboard Manager, make sure the Switchboard table is in the front end, not in a linked table.

 

John Viescas, Author

Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out

Microsoft Access 2007 Inside Out

Microsoft Access 2003 Inside Out

Building Microsoft Access Applications 

SQL Queries for Mere Mortals 

(Paris, France)

 

 

 

On Dec 4, 2014, at 5:11 PM, Liz Ravenwood liz_ravenwood@beaerospace.com [MS_Access_Professionals] <MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Bill I have spent HOURS trying to get a database to do a compact and repair on its own back end.  I could actually do it by locking out the other users, closing the current bound form, and doing a compact and repair on the back end.  It did the compact and repair,

BUT had it as a different name and when I tried to do the renaming business it kept bawling about it being locked.  Even when I tried closing the objects that considered it open.  I might go back to it eventually if I find the extra time.

 

From: MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2014 8:42 AM
To: MS_Access_Professionals@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [MS_AccessPros] Re: Can msaccess use multiple cores?

 



Onno

 

It sounds like you are approaching Access's limits. It might be time to start using SQL Server for your back end. You will be amazed at how much faster it is when compared to Access. SQL Server Express is free and should work just fine for you. This might be a bit of a learning curve for you, but it is well worth the effort. And there is also the bonus of SQL doing its own backups.

 

If you  import directly into SQL you can use a scheduled job to to the work or fire it off manually from your Access application by calling a stored procedure. And your Access front end won't bloat the way it is now. You are right in thinking you cannot compact from the VBA procedure. You have to either run code from outside the database or do it manually.

 

Bill Mosca







This email (and all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and/or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

 






This email (and all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and/or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Viescas <johnv@msn.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

.

__,_._,___

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar