Rabu, 03 Desember 2014

[MS_AccessPros] Help! I’m in a flat file rut.

 


If you read my last question about too many Queries you'll know that I'm in a flat file rut and I'm hoping you can help me break through to the relational world.  I've been asked to create a tool that will collect student data related to their writing abilities.  I broke out good old Access to create this tool and when I started I realized I was, once again, just creating a "spreadsheet" in Access.  So, maybe this is a good time to break free and build a better design and use this as my first attempt at getting better at doing it more efficiently.  It is a fairly simple tool that also makes this a good one with which I can start my new life.

Here are the parameters/components I've been asked to include:

-Basic student information (Name, Grade, Student ID, Teacher).
-Two main categories for the various individual components to be tracked (Composing, Mechanics).
-Under the Composing category there are specific items to be tracked (Participation, Planning, Central Idea, Revising).  Each item is scored as a 1, 2, 3 or 4.
-Under the Mechanics category there are specific items to be tracked (Letter Formation, Format, Punctuation, Capitalization).  Each item is scored as a 1, 2, 3 or 4.
-There will be three times during the year when each of the specific items will be recorded (Fall, Winter, Spring).

I figure there should be:

-Four tables (Student_Info, Composing, Mechanics, Time_of_Year)
-The fields for each table will be what I listed above in each of the bulleted items (with name being split into First and Last).
-The primary key for the Student Info table will be StudentID.
-A foreign key in the other tables will be StudentID and the primary keys will be an auto number field.
-The relationships will be from the Student_Info table to each of the other three tables via the StudentID field.

So, in the end my question is, is this a normalized relational structure?  Am I beginning to finally "get it"?  (I have spent time over the last number of days reading and trying to understand as much as I could about the subject, including the videos and documents from Ms. Crystal.)

__._,_.___

Posted by: Jerry Mathers <jerrymathersasthebeav@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar