Rabu, 12 Februari 2014

Re: [MS_AccessPros] One table or many?

 

Bill-


Consider building a single "Insurance" table with the 6 common fields and a field that indicates the policy type.  Then build a table for each policy subtype that contains the fields relevant to that type.  Do a 1-1 relationship on PolicyID from the main insurance table to each of the sub-tables.  As for a form to edit this stuff, use a main form for the main Insurance table and a subform that you dynamically load to edit the correct sub-table based on policy type.

John Viescas, Author
Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Microsoft Access 2007 Inside Out
Microsoft Access 2003 Inside Out
Building Microsoft Access Applications 
SQL Queries for Mere Mortals 
(Paris, France)

Balmy 9 degrees - Centigrade!

On Feb 12, 2014, at 4:13 PM, Bill Singer <Bill.Singer@at-group.net> wrote:

I have a database that tracks insurance policies for companies.

 

I have separate tables for Health insurance , life insurance, Disabilty …etc.

 

Most policies have different items that need to be tracked so the tables look different, with the exception of about 6 fields.  All policies have about 6 or so thing in common.

 

Should I combine all this info into one table or should I keep the tables separate.  The table would become rather large in my mind (35 fields) but I would only have one table.

 

What is the best way to  do this.

 

Thanks for the comments.

 

Bill

MN

Balmy 18 degrees

 

 

 


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
.

__,_._,___

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar